• RSS Feed

  • Free Skype Call

    Skype Me™!
  • Twitter

    NZbizadvice on Twitter
  • Testimonials

    "Mark has been working with me since May 2004 on many aspects of my business.

    He is very approachable & offers me practical advice and his communication skills are excellent. I would have to say Mark gives his all and is determined to help his clients succeed".

    Owner, Small Pet Shop

    "Mark Gwilliam and his team at Business Advisory Accounting & Tax Services has been my full service accounting department for many years for my companies.

    I rely on the fast, friendly and accurate information they provide me to analyse and concentrate on running my business. Any information that I need is readily available. To eliminate the costs and hassles of in-house accounting, I highly recommend Mark's team."

    Owner, Medium sized building business
  • Recommended business products

    Domain Registrations starting at $9.98* Stock Photos, Royalty Free Stock Photography, Photo Search

Use your home as a genuine business deduction

Your home office is likely to be one of your biggest business deductions.

Ask any proactive tax accountant or business person and they’ll likely agree with me.  Recorded properly, this is one of the all around best deductions dollar for dollar.

Since you probably work at home, quite a bit, you’ll be saving big money just by creating a work space in your home. To deduct part of your home as a business expense, the home office must be used regularly and exlusively in one of two ways:

Many people who run a small business use an area set aside in the family home for work purposes. If you are doing this, you can make a claim for the area set aside so long as:

*  It is used principally for business use (such as an office or storage area), and

*  You keep a full record of all expenses you wish to claim.

The responsibility for keeping invoices and records for a home office is the same as for any other business expenses you are claiming. You can claim a portion of the household expenses, such as the rates, insurance, power, mortgage interest and depreciation (if you own the house). You must keep invoices for these expenses.

You can only claim the expenses that relate to the area set aside for business. Work out the percentage of the work area, compared to the total floor area of the house. Then apply this percentage to the total house expenses.

Knowledge is power and if you don’t know what you are missing, how do become aware? Most importantly we help you to apply this knowledge and put it to work for you. Even if you’re only self employed on a part-time basis, we can help you tap into enormous savings in your everyday habits. 

Have you tapped into our other fr.e resources yet at: >>>  www.themarketingdude.com <<<

Add a comment