• RSS Feed

  • Free Skype Call

    Skype Me™!
  • Twitter

    NZbizadvice on Twitter
  • Testimonials

    "Mark has been working with me since May 2004 on many aspects of my business.

    He is very approachable & offers me practical advice and his communication skills are excellent. I would have to say Mark gives his all and is determined to help his clients succeed".

    Owner, Small Pet Shop

    "Mark Gwilliam and his team at Business Advisory Accounting & Tax Services has been my full service accounting department for many years for my companies.

    I rely on the fast, friendly and accurate information they provide me to analyse and concentrate on running my business. Any information that I need is readily available. To eliminate the costs and hassles of in-house accounting, I highly recommend Mark's team."

    Owner, Medium sized building business
  • Recommended business products

    Domain Registrations starting at $9.98* Stock Photos, Royalty Free Stock Photography, Photo Search

The new IRD mileage rates

The IRD recently amended the mileage rates that can be claimed for business use of a motor vehicle expenditure.  The new mileage rates apply for the 2009 income year, ended 31 March 2009.

Self employed business owners may use one of the following methods to calculate the proportion of business use of a motor vehicle:
*  Actual records
*  A logbook, or
*  A mileage rate

The mileage rate applies in respect of:
*  Self employed taxpayers
*  Up to a maximum of 5,000 kilometres of work-related travel each year
*  Motor vehicles irrespective of engine size whether they are powered by petrol or diesel.  It does not apply to motor cycles

The rate set for motor vehicles has been increased from 62 to 70 cents per kilometre.
If business related travel of self employed persons is over 5,000 kilometres per annum then they should use one of these two methods:
*  Actual Expenditure – you will need to keep accurate records to determine the proportion of business use.

*  Log Book Method – You must keep a log book for a test period of at least 90 consecutive days, and then apply that proportion for the log book term (up to 3 years).

Add a comment